In 2012, I had the opportunity of directing a documentary on the mysterious death of my ex-colleague at the Selangor State Government, the late Teoh Beng Hock. It was my first time doing anything related to film and the creative industry, so it was a real challenge. Nevertheless, it was fulfilling to tell the case that I was so involved in personally during my time there.
The Rights of The Dead has won several awards:
- The Justin Louis Award at the FreedomFilmFest 2012
- Officially selected for the short film competition South East Asia Best Shorts of ChopShots Documentary Film Festival Southeast Asia, Jakarta, Indonesia in December 2012
- Officially selected for the final competition at Aljazeera International Documentary Film Festival, Doha, Qatar from 18th-21st April 2013 (under the “New Horizons” category)
- Selected for the Best of Documentaries from Southeast Asia at the 5th European-Vietnamese Documentary Film Festival in Hanoi, Vietnam, 5th-14th June 2013
Apart from the above, it has been screened in the following cities:
- Malaysia: Petaling Jaya, Johor, Ipoh, Penang, Kuching, Kota Kinabalu
- Sydney, Australia, 9th March 2013 at a JomBalikUndi event
- 3rd Salaya International Documentary Film Festival, Bangkok, Thailand, from 2nd-7th April 2013
- Luang Prabang Film Festival in Luang Prabang, Laos, 7th-11th December 2013
- 13th Dhaka International International Film Festival in Dhaka, Bangladesh, 10th-18th January 2014
The Rights of The Dead, 30 mins. (English, Malay and Chinese versions)
In July 2009, the mysterious death of political aide Teoh Beng Hock rocked the nation. His body was found outside the premises of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC), where he was being held overnight for interrogation. The filmmaker was herself was a colleague of the deceased working in the Selangor State government. She tries to make sense of the inquest and royal commission of inquiry into his death and takes a critical look at the Malaysian system of government and politics that is ultimately responsible for ensuring justice for its citizens including those who died in custody or while in detention.
- Director/Writer: Tricia Yeoh
- Director of Photography: Malek Abdullah
- Sound: Jasper Huang, M. Ziyad Zainal, Foo
- Editor: Yihwen Chen
- Creative Consultants: Anna Har, Brenda Danker
The Rights of The Dead Full Documentaries
Please contact me directly to purchase DVDs of the documentary. The DVD contains all three language-versions in one.